Buffalo chicken is an American staple that originated in Buffalo, NY in the 1960s. The zesty combination of vinegar, butter, and cayenne spice is a delicious and addictive game day favorite. This vegan version does not disappoint. The cauliflower holds up to the robust sauce and lends a nice crunch and texture to the tacos. These Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos with Vegan Ranch Dressing will become a staple meal in your home!
Be careful when roasting your cauliflower. One minute it is very white, and then the next it is full blackened. Go slowly, and do not skip the advice on preparing this in a cast iron skillet. It is clutch. The aroma of these can be strong while you are cooking, so open a window or turn on a fan, especially if you have someone in your home with sensitive lungs. This one may be too spicy for children; you can easily leave off the hot sauce, or substitute barbeque sauce or sweet chili sauce—just be careful with the sugar content.
The Ranch Dressing is tangy and smooth. You’ll find dozens of other uses for it, from salads to fries, to pizza!
Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 tacos
12 corn tortillas
3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon vegan butter, divided
1 small onion, diced
1 (15-ounce) can refried pinto beans
Large head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
2/3 cup hot sauce
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
head romaine lettuce
Vegan Ranch Dressing (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 200oF.
- Remove corn tortillas from plastic and wrap in aluminum foil. Place on a sheet pan and place in the oven until ready to serve.
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon vegan butter. Add diced onion and sauté until translucent. Add pinto beans and heat through. Once heated, reduce heat to low.
- In another small saucepan, make buffalo sauce by melting 1/3 cup vegan butter over medium heat and whisking in hot sauce and vinegar. Whisk vigorously until emulsified.
- Place a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add vegan butter. Place cauliflower in hot cast iron skillet and add paprika, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Stir, and then allow to rest so that it can start to brown. Cook until thoroughly tender and blackened.
- While cauliflower is cooking, thinly slice the avocado and romaine lettuce. Chop cilantro. Cut lime into small wedges.
- When cauliflower is well browned, add buffalo sauce and remove from heat and take tortillas out of the oven.
- Build tacos by layering pinto beans, cauliflower and avocado, and then top with romaine lettuce, cilantro, lime juice and ranch dressing.
Vegan Ranch Dressing
1 (16-ounce) package silken tofu
1/3 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon raw agave nectar
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until desired consistency.
For another American classic recipe turned vegan, check out Vegan Mac and Cheese!
Looking for more great vegan recipes? Check out my Clean Slate Cleanse Cookbook!