This is one of my favorite quick, simple dishes. You can be creative with this vegan egg salad. Mix up your toppings, substitute your favorite lettuce as a wrap (collard greens work great), or add different seasonings to create variety. I like mine with a Tex-Mex twist (with cumin, chili powder, and cayenne) or a summer variety with dill and fresh celery.
If you are using the homemade vegan mayonnaise, be sure to start the day before since the cashews need to soak overnight.
Vegan Egg Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1/2 cup to 1 cup vegan mayonnaise (store bought or use recipe below). You can adjust the wetness of the salad to taste.
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 drop celery seed essential oil or 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon black salt (or any mineral salt will do)
1 tablespoon diced pickles
1 teaspoon pickle juice
Optional: chopped red onion, pimentos, parsley, cilantro, basil, red bell pepper
1/2 head romaine lettuce leaves, whole with ends trimmed
- Open tofu and drain the water. Wrap in a towel for about 15 minutes to remove excess water. Crumble tofu by hand in a large bowl.
- To the mayonnaise add curry, turmeric, celery seed, and black salt. Pour half over the tofu and mix.
- Add in pickles, pickle juice, and optional ingredients as desired.
- Fold gently to combine.
- Add more of the mayonnaise mixture, to taste.
- Serve atop romaine lettuce leaves or a gluten-free tortilla.
1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked for about 5 hours (or overnight is fine)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
2 teaspoons agave nectar
- Rinse the cashews and place in a high-powered blender or in a vessel appropriate for an immersion blender. Add vinegar, onion powder, mustard and agave nectar. Blend. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach a smooth, rich consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Will last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
For another great salad recipe, check out Butternut Squash Salad!