One of the great joys of summer is rich, decadent mayonnaisey salads. There, I said it, I flipping love mayonnaise. The tang, the way that it unites ingredients seemingly as foreign as broccoli and raisins, the versatility in everything from sweet to savory, mayonnaise is truly the gift that keeps on giving. These vegan oyster rolls are perfect on a hot summer’s day by the beach, at a lazy afternoon picnic, or after a day of swimming. Better yet, regular oysters are typically not delicious in the summer because it is spawning season, so this summery salad is a hit with both plant and meat eaters.
Meaty little morsels that are packed with Vitamins B3, B2, B5, copper, potassium, phosphorus. There is evidence that oyster mushrooms may lower triglycerides in animal models, reduce inflammation, provide antioxidants, and support brain health.
Oyster Mushrooms provide the base of the salad for the Vegan Oyster Rolls. Then we combine the crunch of celery, the brightness of lemon and dill, and the earthiness of parsley, mustard, and red onion with the briney, saltiness of capers for a flavorful summer salad.
Serving the Salad
Selection of the bread is important to this dish. Traditionally an eggy, buttery brioche would be the bread of choice for this roll. But for those who are staying vegan, look for the softest bread you can find. While we want to griddle the bread and get some crunch to it, the bread needs to be squishy enough so the filling doesn’t simply slide out the end of the roll on first bite.
Vegan Oyster Rolls
- 1 lb. oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon celery salt, divided
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise (Try my homemade version too)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus 2 drops parsley essential oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 4 Brioche, hoagie, hamburger, or hot dog buns, gluten free and vegan, if desired
- Vegan butter, for griddling bread
- Preheat your oven to 400° Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place oyster mushrooms on the parchment paper and top with the olive oil, Old Bay Seasoning, ½ teaspoon of celery salt, celery, salt and pepper and toss until coated thoroughly. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until browned in places.
- Next prepare the oyster salad. Remove mushrooms from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Once slightly cooled, transfer to a large bowl. Add the remaining Old Bay and celery salt, mayo, lemon juice, red onion, dill, parsley, capers and mustard powder and stir until fully incorporated.
- Cut the bread in half and coat in vegan butter. Place the cut side of the bread down on a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat and brown.
- Assemble the Vegan Oyster Rolls by placing a bed of arugula on each roll, top with oyster salad and finish with more arugula. Serve with lemon wedges and Perfectly Crispy Fries with Garlic Sauce.
Have you made the Vegan Oyster Rolls? Comment below with your tweaks and adjustments, or ask a question if you’re confused.
Want to join me on the next group cleanse? Head over and get signed up to join us next January!
Ready to start now? Simply grab a Clean Slate Cleanse Cookbook and Workbook to get you going!