There’s nothing worse than climbing into bed ready for a restful night and not being able to catch those precious z’s. Whether your mind is racing or your body just doesn’t get the message to wind down, wrestling with sleep stinks. Instead of reaching for sleeping pills, try something natural to help you drift off to dream land. This Sleep Balm combines the power of CBD and the calming aroma of essential oils to help you get a better night’s rest.
This recipe combines the power of two of my favorite calming essential oils: lavender and cedarwood. But you can mix things up with the oils of your choice. Many people love Peace and Calming or Stress Away at bedtime. You can also try Release if you need help letting go of the pressures of the day. Other great options include frankincense, sandalwood, valerian, bergamot, and lots more. Choose oils that are relaxing and calming to you.
Studies show that CBD helps relieve anxiety and stress, which can contribute to insomnia. While many people choose to take CBD internally, using this sleep balm is a gentle way to enjoy the relaxing benefits of this oil. Plus, you can apply as much or as little as you need. You can even try this balm with restless children to help them sleep better. The key here, as always, is to start with a small amount. It may take a few nights to figure out the right amount for you.
You can also adjust the amount of CBD you use in the recipe. The more you use, the more potent your balm will be. If your CBD oil contains 50 mg per 1 mL (usually one full dropper), you need 4 mL to yield 200 mg.
CBD Sleep Balm
- 1 tablespoon beeswax pellets
- 1 tablespoon jojoba oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 30 drops lavender essential oil
- 30 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 200 mg CBD oil
- Combine beeswax or carnauba wax, jojoba oil, and coconut oil, in a mason jar.
- Create a double boiler by pouring a few inches of water in a small saucepan, and carefully set the jar of ingredients in the water.
- Next, gently heat the pan over medium-low heat.
- Once the mixture is completely melted, remove from heat. (Be careful, the glass will be very HOT!)
- Finally, add essential oils and CBD oil and gently stir to incorporate.
- Allow to cool completely and solidify before using.
About 30 minutes before bedtime, apply Sleep Balm to bottoms of feet, chest, neck, or arms. (You can really apply it just about anywhere you desire.)
Want even more ways to help you sleep? Check out The Importance of Sleep and How to Get More of It.
If you’re looking for more information and science about CBD, come listen to the CBD Course!