Your liver is one of the largest organs in your body, and it performs many vital metabolic functions. Here is an explanation of its major roles in the body, as well as some practical things you can do to support your liver, including my top three tips for a healthy liver.
What Does the Liver Do?
The liver is responsible for converting nutrients in our diets into substances the body can use, as well as supplying cells what they need. In essence, everything we eat or drink passes through the liver before it can be used by our cells.
Additionally, the liver plays a role in regulating blood sugar, breaking down damaged blood cells, and removing toxins from our bodies. Because of these important functions, a sluggish or diseased liver can take its toll on your overall health.
Supporting the Liver
There are many steps you can take to support your liver and ensure its proper function. One of the simplest things you can do is to avoid or limit toxins. This includes alcohol, red meat, prescription medications, and over-the-counter drugs (especially pain relievers). It’s no surprise that our diet also plays a huge role in the health of our liver. Whole grains, fresh vegetables, beans, and miso soup are all good choices to support the liver. Below are some additional liver-loving tips.
Three Tips for a Healthy Liver
Castor Oil Packs
Castor oil has a lipid structure that easily passes through the skin’s surface. As castor oil moves through the lymph system, it stimulates a healthy flow of lymph fluid. This flow is essential to removing waste materials from the body. Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid, which is easily absorbed into the liver. Ricinoleic acid is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent that also provides significant pain relief.
Thus, castor oil packs work to promote circulation of the blood and lymphatic drainage. Are you ready to experience the positive health impacts of this natural product? Here is a step-by-step explanation of how to make your own Castor Oil Packs.
Drink Something Sour in the Morning
In Chinese medicine, Qi is your vital life force and is responsible for the harmonious “flow” of energy in our bodies. Because of its role in healthy circulation, the liver is largely responsible for maintaining Qi. Additionally, Chinese medicine believes that the best time to target your liver is early in the morning.
There are studies that show the benefit of consuming sour substances for the liver. Apple cider vinegar has been shown to have a protective effect on the liver and lower oxidative stress. Citrus juices, like lemon, also have benefits, including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant capabilities.
Drinking these sour drinks can help flush the liver and keep it functioning properly. Drinking them during early morning hours may increase the beneficial effects. Wake up your liver in the morning by adding a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a squeeze of lemon to a cup of warm water.
Herbs that Support the Liver
- Herbalists note Oregon Grape Root for its ability to stimulate liver function and relieve congestion. This herb also helps improve the flow of bile through our bodies, which promotes efficient blood cleansing.
- Beet Root is shown to have protective and anti-carcinogenic benefits for the liver. Beet root is widely available as a powder that can be added to juice or smoothies, or in convenient capsules.
- Dandelion Root is an herb that has been noted for purifying and protecting the liver from oxidative stress and injury. Enjoy a mild dandelion root tea before bed.
- Alfalfa Sprouts are vitamin-rich shoots that help to reduce the accumulation of cholesterol in the liver. Alfalfa capsules are a convenient way to add a bit of nutrition to your day.
- Cichoric acid, found in the herb Echinacea purpurea, has demonstrated promise for its preventive effects liver lipid metabolism disorders in obesity.
Interested in More Natural Ways to Detoxify Your Body? Check out all the benefits of a Coffee Enema.
Want Even More Health and Wellness Education? Come on over and Join the YL Education Club!