Exfoliating your skin keeps it healthy and vibrant. But sadly, many exfoliators contain harsh ingredients that can damage skin. Lots of DIY recipes contain sugar, which is not ideal for your complexion. After much trial-and-error recipe testing for a facial exfoliator without sugar that actually works, I came up with this Gentle Exfoliating Powder. It works a bit differently than a cream exfoliator, but you will love the results from this recipe.
About the Ingredients
Colloidal oatmeal is the primary ingredient in this mixture. Oatmeal is great for skin because it protects against skin irritants and helps to balance pH. It also has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties to soothe itchy, dry skin.
Baking soda and fine sea salt also help add exfoliating power to this powder. If you have very sensitive skin, you may choose to omit the salt. You can really use any essential oils you prefer in this recipe. I chose lavender and frankincense for their skin-nourishing properties.
Gentle Exfoliating Powder
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon fine Himalayan pink salt
- 7 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops frankincense essential oil
- Place the rolled oats, in a coffee grinder or blender and pulse until finely ground.
- Then, stir in the baking soda, sea salt, and essential oils.
- Store your exfoliating powder in a spice jar or other container with a lid.
- Combine about 2 teaspoons of Gentle Exfoliating Powder with your daily facial cleanser in your palm.
- Gently scrub the face with fingertips and rinse thoroughly.
- My favorite way to use this scrub is with my Blue Tansy Cleansing Cream!
Love learning how to use essential oils for natural wellness? Come learn more at the YL Education Club!